This is my family! You've probably heard me tell you a lot about my Dad (s), and three months. Then Mark and I became parents, and after a lot of trying we had our son, Aaron, who then with his lovely wife, Emily, blessed us with three beautiful granddaughters, Kaylee, Zoe and Naomi. It's birthday month in June, so I will probably include some some "photo projects", in this BLOG; but let's get down our study.
"Listen, my son, to your father's instruction (when he corrects you), and do not forsake (neglect) your mother's teaching (instuction) ." Proverbs 1:8 (NIV/NLT)
1. LISTEN & LEARN
Our Father in Heaven is talking to us, just as Solomon was speaking to his sons and daughters. First, he wants us to LISTEN, and then to RETAIN what we are taught by OUR PARENTS. Wisdom comes from His mother's teaching, and without mentoring from a parent (mother or father, Christian leaders) we can make the wrong decisions.
I was always taught that my Dad took an active role in the lives of his daughters - especially when it came to reading the Bible to us. He helped us with our school work, and he spent quality time with us, especially in the years when we didn't have a mother.
We were not a perfect family and we made mistakes, but one thing my parents taught me was that I needed to treat them with respect. They also taught us that teachers and leaders in our Church needed to be "honoured", especially with words and moral conduct, "cleanliness and worthiness".
Have a great life in Christ, with positive encouragement! Everything we do in out life is going to have consequences. Whatever we do is always going to affect ourselves and others. By listening and watching the biblical counsel of our parents, pastors and teachers, we will GROW IN "GRACE, HONOUR, NOBILITY AND VICTORY".
"Then you LEARN FROM THEM and they will crown you with GRACE and be a chain around your neck" Proverbs 1:9 (NIV/NLT)
Children must learn to love God. This is their No 1 priority! We probably won't have a perfect life - there will be TRIALS - but we can TRUST IN THE LORD and we can know that He is always with us. The No 1 priority is that we, as PARENTS AND GRANDPARENTS is to demonstrate this FAITH!
"You must commit yourself wholeheartedly to these commands that I am giving you today. Repeat them again and again TO YOUR CHILDREN. Talk about them IN YOUR HOMES and when you are on the road. When you are going to bed, when you are getting up. Tie them on your hands, and wear them on your foreheads as a reminder." Deuteronomy 6:6-8 (NLT)
2. RESIST THE TEMPTATION
Jesus tells us not to withdraw from the world, but not to be tempted by its evil ways. I loved the Church and Scripture, and I wanted to be a Pastor, like my Dad. But I also loved school, and for some reason I was led into the Public School system. I started with Religious Education, Teacher Aiding; then it was in the community as an Army wife. Finally, I became a Special Needs Teacher, after getting my Education Degree. Then it, was the 12 years with the Circus.
The challenges "in the world", especially when working in thhe Church and in the Army life, was to resist a lot of the temptations around us. Although weren't tempted by "drugs, alcohol and the party lifestyle", I was always afraid I may fall away from "living my Christian life" and "serving the Lord".
In these next verses in Proverbs, we are given some practical advice and are reminded that the Lord is always on our side in those dark times; and "nothing is too hard" to face with Jesus on our side.
"If bad company tempts you (if men entice you), don't go along (give in/turn your back) on them. They may say, come and join us (come along with us and raise some hell); ........my son, don't give them a second look; don't listen to them for a minute (do not go along with them, do not set your foot on their paths - stay away from them " Proverbs 1:10,11a, 15 (MSG/NIV/NLT)
* Don't follow the crowd, for this is not always acceptable because "the world does it".
* Peer pressure is very strong, and "sin can be enticing", but "nothing is too hard for our Lord."
* Bad friends can destroy a life. Temptation is powerful! Gangs and Materialism can lead us into "bad ways", often into debt,jail, or maybe even death.
Remember, when Jesus was tempted in the wilderness, he went straight to the WORD OF GOD:
"Man shall not live on bread alone, BUT ON EVERY WORD that comes from THE MOUTH OF GOD."
Matthew 4:4 (NIV)
Recently, Mark and I were going over some "family" photos - with Aaron, the grandchildren, then the Circus - and we realized how many opportunities we had too minister and serve over the years.
"So we have the opportunity to be ENTHUSIASTIC about all CHRIST JESUS HAS DONE THROUGH US, in our SERVICE TO GOD." Romans 15:17 (NLT)
"I thank Jesus Christ our Lordm who has given me the strength to do HIS WORK. He considered me TRUSTWORTHY and appointed me to SERVE HIM." 1 Timothy 1:12 (NLT)
"Lord, we pray that in the year ahed, you will give us the STRENGTH to face any TEMPTATIONS, and not to be ENTICED BY SIN." Nicky & Pippa Gumbel
"THE HOLY BIBLE - NEW INTERNATIONAL BIBLE", 2011, Biblica
" THE HOLY BIBLE - NEW LIVING BIBLE", 2015, Tyndale House Publications
"THE MESSAGE - THE BIBLE IN CONTEMPORARY LANGUAGE," 1993, Eugene H Peterson, NavPress/Tyndale House Publishers
"Gumbel, Nicky & Pippa, 2009/2026, "The Bible in One Year", Alpha/YouVersion



No comments:
Post a Comment