Friday, 3 July 2026

PROVERBS 3: TRUST AND OBEY

 


1. TRUST AND OBEY

The famous hymn "Trust and Obey" almost never made it , for the it was just a poem written by Daniel Towner, and he threw his first manuscript in the bin. Fortunately, his wife found it, and along with his pastor, the Reverend J.H Sammis , who later put it to music, they encouraged him to "never give up".

When God calls you to work on something, you may get frustrated, but don't give up. Paul encouraged us with Scripture:

"For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so that WE CAN DO GOOD THINGS HE PLANNED FOR US LONG AGO." Ephesians 2:10 (NIV)

Today my writing is really illegible. I am looking aroung at all thes young people at the Library on their computers, and I wonder if I will ever be able to write coherently again. Today I went to the "Neura Smart Step Stroke Clinic" to be tested for a trial. I was very nervous, as I haven't been feeling very positive about my future. But today, I did really well - and went away more confident, trusting in the Lord and His future plans for myself and my family.  I knew again, we could:

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and don't depend on your own understanding. Remember the Lord (seek His will) in everythng you do, and He will show you which path to take (give you success)." Proverbs 3:5&6 (ICB/NLT) 


PERFECT TRUST

Can you TRUST GOD? Do you have a RELATIONSHIP with someone you can DEPEND ON in your time of need? Do you believe that GOD IS WITH YOU ALWAYS?  Do you hav evidence of His "presence and power"?

This is something I have always had! I'll confess, there have been times when I have faced adversity, darkness and despair, and have been "overwhelmed" by circumstances beyond my control, but I have alwayS ALWAYS BELIEVED THAT GOD IS SOVEREIGN and has CARED FOR ME. I find "calm assurance" by resting in His LOVE and OMNIPRESENCE.

Many of us try to face what we feel are "unfair circumstances" trying to face them alone. I'll admit, there are times, over the years, when I have been "angry with the world", and even my family. Yes, I admit, I have tried to do things in my own strength, but I have always come back to CHRIST.

"Helen Rosevere was a British Missionary in the Congo. While serving the Lord she was raped, assaulted and treated brutally. Yet, HER FAITH REMAINED STRONG. Why? ...."First, God brought me here, and BY HIS WILL I am in this place. I WILL REST! He will keep me here IN HIS LOVE and GIVE ME GRACE to behave as His child. Then every TRIAL IS A BLESSING that is intending for learning and strength. Last, in HIS GOOD TIMES he brings me out." Charles Swindoll/Helen Rosevere

* When we feel  hurt and alone, GOD ASSURES US THAT HE CARES!
* When we feel angry and resentful, GOD PROVIDES WISDOM & STRENGTH!
* When we fell anxious, GOD PROMISES US PEACE AND SECURITY!
* May He give us EARS TO HEAR, HEARTS TO TRUST AND MINDS TO REST IN HIM!
* God is ultimately TRUSTWORTHY!

"YOU WILL KEEP IN PERFECT PEACE, ALL WHO TRUST IN YOU, ALL WHOSE THOUGHTS ARE FIXED ON YOU. TRUST IN THE LORD ALWAYS, FOR THE LORD GOD IS THE ETERNAL ROCK." Isaiah 26:3&4 (NLT)  


3. TRUST GOD FOR THE IMPOSSIBLE

Walking with God is the most exciting and rewarding experience you can have, but there are also hard times and struggles.  

Elijah was sitting at a dried up brook at Cherith when God came to him and instructed him to go to Zarapeth. It was a long walk in the wilderness, and when he got there he was hungry and thirsty. Yet God had already prepared a widow for his arrival. 
When Elijah met the woman , she had been gathering sticksto make her last meal for her son, before she died. Elijah took courage and spoke to her.

"He called to her and asked: "Would you bring me a little water in a jar so I may have a drink? As she was going to get it, he called, "And bring me, please, a piece of bread."

"As surely as the Lord your God lives," she replied, "I don't have any bread - only a handful of flour in a jar and a little olive oil in a jug. "

"Elijah said to her, "Don't be afraid. Go home and do as you have said. But first make a small loaf of bread for me from what you have and bring it to me, then make something for you and your son. For this is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says, "The jar of flour will not be used up and the jug of oil will not run dry until the day the Lord sends rain on the land." 1 Kings 17:10b,11,12a, 13&14 (NIV)

QUIET! TRUST! COURAGE! It certainly built the woman's faith! GOD WAS FAITHFUL! The woman was obedient and her bowl of flour empty and the jar of oil never ran dry. There are 2 important things you can learn about TRUSTING GOD:

1. "It doesn't always alter our circumstances".

2. It is "hinged on our obedience" and it "changes us"

"PERFECT TRUST gives us character and stability in hard times. One of the most encouraging things FAITH is that it PLEASES GOD." Charles Swindoll

"And WITHOUT FAITH it's impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him MUST BELIEVE THAT HE EXISTS that He rewards those who seek Him."                                                                                                                   Hebrews 11:6 (NIV)





"THE HOLY BIBLE - NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION", 2011, Biblica

"THE HOLY BIBLE - NEW LIVING TRANSLATION", 2015, Tyndale House Publishing

"INTERNATIONAL CHILDREN'S BIBLE", 2015, Thomas Nelson


SWINDOLL, Charles R, "Perfect Trust", 2000, Thomas Nelson

ROSEVEARE, Helen, "He Gave Us a Mountain", 1976, ModernReformation


"TRUST AND OBEY", (1887/2020), John H Sammis, Daniel Towner (Author/Composer); Don Moen (Performer) YouTube.










































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment

PROVERBS 4 -. THE VALUE OF LISTENING TO OUR PARENTS

       1. LISTEN TO YOUR PARENTS In this Passage - Proverbs 4:1-9 we see the value of learning the wise teaching of parents and elders. Lear...